Things to Do After Purchasing Your New Home
- Change the locks. Even if the area where you have purchased your new home has a low crime rate it is still highly advisable to change the locks. Who knows who has the keys at this point. The prior owners friends, relatives, babysitter, etc could all have access to your home. Don’t take a chance.
- Get new changes of address labels. Make sure you again let everyone know where you have moved to. Just like you did prior to selling your home you will want to make sure the post office knows you are living in your new place. Another important place to contact is the local city hall. You want to do this to make sure you get any important documents the town could be sending you, especially a current tax bill!
- Get familiar with your new surroundings and scope out some important things like local convenience stores, restaurants, the bank, post office and various forms of entertainment you may have an interest in.
- If you are moving with pets make sure you locate the local veterinarian, pet hospital, as well as any parks you may consider walking your dog.
- Again, just as you did when you sold get all your utilities in place and especially cable television if you have kids!
- Make sure you know in advance where the local hospital is located. The last thing you want to do is be scrambling in a new environment when your head is not on straight trying to find medical attention. These are all great things to do after selling your home. If you follow all of the advice from start to finish you are bound to have far less stress with the home selling process!